Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
France 24
France 24
World
FRANCE 24

Syrian soldier killed and at least 18 people wounded by Damascus car bomb

Security personnel arrive at the scene near a burning vehicle following an explosion in Damascus on May 19, 2026.
Security personnel arrive at the scene near a burning vehicle following an explosion in Damascus on May 19, 2026. © AFP

A car bomb that exploded outside a defence ministry building in Damascus Tuesday killed one Syrian soldier and wounded at least 18 people, authorities said. No group has yet claimed to be responsible for the attack.

One Syrian soldier was ​killed and at least 18 people were wounded by a car ​bomb ‌that exploded on Tuesday ⁠outside a defence ministry building ‌in Damascus, authorities said.

Soldiers had discovered ⁠a different bomb near the building in the capital's ​Bab Sharqi district ‌and were trying to dismantle it when the car bomb ‌went off nearby, the ministry said ​in a statement carried by state media.

The head of Syria's ​ambulance and emergency directorate, Najib ​al-Nassan, told state-owned ​agency SANA that 18 wounded people had ​been taken to hospitals after the explosion.

No group immediately claimed responsibility for the ⁠attack.

In June last year, an explosion in a Damascus church killed 25 people. Little-known Sunni extremist group Saraya Ansar al-Sunna claimed responsibility for the attack, while authorities blamed the Islamic State group.

(FRANCE 24 with Reuters and AFP)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.