Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Nick Bielby

Sydney tree-loppers fined over Hunter door-knocking

Six men from a Western Sydney tree-lopping company have been fined for breaching COVID-19 public health orders by door-knocking for work in the Lake Macquarie area.

The men, aged between 17 and 59, were from Sau Tree Services.

The Newcastle Herald recently reported that the company's owner, 59-year-old Taanasau Fautua, was taken to John Hunter Hospital for treatment after he tested positive to the virus.

Police said officers went to a holiday rental property on Yanko Street at Toronto on July 20 after reports that a group of men had arrived in the region from Sydney's lockdown zone to undertake tree-lopping work.

The men told police they had left Sydney before stay-home orders came into force and they did not intend on returning there until restrictions were lifted.

Police investigated the matter further and were alerted by NSW Health that the 59-year-old was displaying COVID-19 symptoms and a 23-year-old had required a COVID-19 test.

Police said on Wednesday that five of the men had been fined $1000 each and an 18-year-old was given a $200 infringement for failing to wear a face mask when required to do so.

Mr Fautua publicly apologised from his hospital bed earlier this month.

Police said their investigation was ongoing.

The latest fines come after an unrelated tree-lopping company from Sydney was fined $33,000 for door-knocking for work at Lake Macquarie and lying on a permit to enter regional NSW.

IN COVID-19 NEWS TODAY: SEPTEMBER 15, 2021

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.