Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Pedestrian.tv
Pedestrian.tv
National
Simran Pasricha

Sydney Swans CEO Responds As Players Investigated Over Alleged Sexual Assault: ‘Extremely Shocked’

CONTENT WARNING: This article discusses alleged sexual assault.

Sydney Swans CEO Matthew Pavlich has addressed the media after Victoria Police confirmed it is investigating a report of sexual assault at a hotel in East Melbourne.

The Swans confirmed on Monday that “several players were involved in an alleged incident” in Melbourne on Sunday night.

The club had stayed in Melbourne after the team’s 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG on Sunday night, with the Swans confirming several players were involved in an “alleged incident” later that evening.

Victoria Police said detectives were looking into a report of sexual assault at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of Monday. No one has been named and police have not announced any charges.

“Police are investigating a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on 17 August,” VIC Police said. It claimed the incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade and that “the exact circumstances are yet to be established and the investigation into the incident remains ongoing”.

Witnesses told the Herald Sun that two women went to hotel staff at about 7am seeking entry to a guest room. One was described as “hysterical” and “upset”, and was reportedly seen running into the hotel toilets crying before police arrived.

Speaking outside the Swans’ Sydney headquarters on Monday afternoon, Pavlich said the club was working with the AFL and authorities as it tried to determine what had happened.

“We can confirm that several players were involved in an alleged incident last night in Melbourne,” he said.

“We’ve identified this to the AFL. We are working with them and also the relevant authorities on this matter.”

Sydney Swans CEO Matthew Pavlich speaks to the media at Swans HQ. (Image: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images)

Pavlich said the club had begun its own internal inquiries, but did not offer more detail about the incident or the players involved.

“We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing,” he said.

“Safe to say that we’re extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.

“We understand the level of interest in the matter and there’s going to be lots of speculation, but given it’s a police matter right now, that is all that we can say.”

Asked if anybody had been arrested, Pavlich replied, “Well, as I said, it’s a police matter ongoing. I’m not going to comment any further on it right now.”

The Swans have said they notified the AFL and relevant authorities. The club has not identified the players involved and said it would not comment further at this stage.

Help is available.

If you’re in distress, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14 or chat online. If it’s an emergency, please call 000.

Under 25? You can reach the Kids Helpline at 1800 55 1800 or chat online.

Lead image: Getty

The post Sydney Swans CEO Responds As Players Investigated Over Alleged Sexual Assault: ‘Extremely Shocked’ appeared first on PEDESTRIAN.TV .

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.