Swansea City headlines as four clubs in race to sign Swans star and Man Utd's transfer plans leave Ethan Laird in limbo

By Mathew Davies

These are your Swansea City headlines on Friday, November 19

Cullen attracting interest

Four clubs are reporting tracking Swansea striker Liam Cullen.

Head coach Russell Martin's former club MK Dons, Lincoln, Fleetwood and Cheltenham are all interested in signing the 22-year-old on loan in January, according to Football Insider.

Cullen has found himself occupying a squad player role so far this season, behind the likes of Joel Piroe and Olivier Ntcham in the attacking pecking order.

He has made 10 appearances in all competitions but they have in recent weeks been mainly from the bench.

Fellow Swans striker Kyle Joseph is already on loan with the Robins, while the Imps have shown considerable interest in Morgan Whittaker.

There is no denying that regular game-time would benefit Cullen in the long term but any loan move away from SA1 would surely have to be covered off by attacking reinforcements.

READ MORE: Every word from Russell Martin's press conference

United transfer plans leave Laird in limbo

Manchester United remain keen on signing Atletico Madrid's Kieran Trippier.

Our colleagues at the Manchester Evening News report that United have told Italian outfit Roma that they will only sell Diogo Dalot to them if they bring in former Tottenham man Trippier to replace him.

Aaron Wan-Bissaka's dismal form is the reason for United's interest, but if they were to pursue Bury-born Trippier it would dampen Ethan Laird's prospects of an Old Trafford breakthrough next season.

Laird revealed recently that his ultimate goal was to succeed at United, with a stellar loan stint at Swansea already furthering his cause.

But Trippier's possible arrival in Manchester would halt Laird's ambitions - in the short term at least - meaning another temporary transfer maybe on the cards.

Martin: Obafemi back in the fold

Head coach Martin says Michael Obafemi will be in the selection mix for Saturday's visit of Blackpool.

Martin spoke out following the 4-0 defeat to Bournemouth last time out, stating than the young striker needed "to be better" in order to force his way into the manager's reckoning.

The issue seems to have been put to bed now and his inclusion this weekend has been confirmed.

The boss said at his pre-Blackpool press conference : "He will (be in the squad).

"It’s not a time-keeping issue. The guys behave so well and so professional, so when something doesn’t quite align with that, it really stands out. Michael is frustrated with himself, completely understands it. No time-keeping issues, so he's going to be back involved."

Paterson's eligibility clarified

So, it turns out Jamie Paterson can't play for Wales after all.

The in-form Swans attacker floated the idea of representing Rob Page's side when he posted on Twitter last week.

But WalesOnline have learned he isn't actually eligible.

For the full story, read on here.

For the latest Swansea City news and analysis delivered straight to your inbox, you can sign up for our newsletter here.


What is inkl?

Important stories

See news based on value, not advertising potential. Get the latest news from around the world.

Trusted newsrooms

We bring you reliable news from the world’s most experienced journalists in the most trusted newsrooms.

Ad-free reading

Read without interruptions, distractions or intrusions of privacy.