Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Times of India
The Times of India
National
Dwaipayan Ghosh | TNN

Suvendu guard case: CID calls 8 cops to Kolkata

KOLKATA: CID has summoned eight cops — all from Bengal police and most of them part of leader of opposition Suvendu Adhikari’s security detail in 2018 — to Bhabani Bhawan on Thursday in the probe into the mysterious death of Adhikari’s security guard Subhabrata Chakraborty three years ago.

The former IC of Contai police station, who was questioned a day before by CID’s anti-homicide wing, has been summoned again. This is the first time so many cops have been summoned to Kolkata by CID in the ongoing probe into the death of Chakraborty, a State Armed Police (SAP) personnel.

The investigators have so far recorded the statement of 16 cops. All were either present at the Contai barracks (opposite the Shantikunj home of the Adhikaris) on the day Chakraborty died or were involved in the probe after his death at a hospital in Kolkata.

CID sources said the decision to summon these cops to Kolkata was taken after the agency had summoned three officers — the former IC, an ASI and a constable — to record their statements on Tuesday.

Sources said they found certain anomalies in the statements of various witnesses recorded so far (including 16 cops) and might summon them again for further clarification.

“Kolkata headquarters offers us better amenities and infrastructure to carry out questioning,” a senior CID officer said in a terse reply on suddenly summoning these cops to the city.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.