Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Bangkok Post
Bangkok Post
National
THODSAPOL HONGTONG

Suvarnabhumi cabbies threaten to cut back services

Taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi airport have threatened to refuse to take extra bags from travellers if the Transport Ministry fails to ensure that app-based services won’t compete unfairly once they are legalised next year. (Post file photo)

Suvarnabhumi airport taxi drivers have threatened to withdraw some services starting on Nov 1 in a protest against what they say is the government’s failure to ensure fair competition once app-based ride services are legalised.

The drivers complain that the Transport Ministry and its Land Transport Department have declined to discuss assistance for conventional taxi drivers as promised. The department is preparing to legalise app-based services such as Grab by March.

Drivers’ representatives had been seeking an increase in fares and airport surcharges but received no response, said Sadit Jaithiang, president of the Thai Public Taxi Association.

As a result, he said, drivers at Suvarnabhumi plan to protest by limiting the number of bags they will take. The total number of bags must be no greater than the total number of passengers in the car.

Passengers with more bags would have to call another taxi for service, he said, adding that this would start on Nov 1.

Taxi drivers’ representative Santi Patiphanrat said the transport minister had ordered the Land Transport Department to form a committee with cabbies’ representatives to work out solutions for drivers who would be affected by app-based services within a month, but the deadline had passed. The department had not contacted their representatives to invite their input, he said.

Taxi fares have been frozen for six years and drivers also want the government to extend the service time of metered taxis from nine to 12 years, he added.

Taxi drivers plan to rally at the Transport Ministry on Nov 7 to inquire about progress on solutions for their problems, Mr Pallop said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.