Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
Sport
By Simon Smale

ABC continues 84-year partnership with Cricket Australia

The ABC will continue radio commentary for all Australian Men's and Women's international matches up to 2024.

In a statement, the ABC confirmed it had signed a six-year deal with Cricket Australia (CA) to continue their 84-year-long partnership.

Managing director of the ABC, Michelle Guthrie, said the new agreement gave ABC Radio the rights to broadcast Men's and Women's international cricket and the Women's Big Bash League on all platforms.

"Cricket on ABC Radio is a big part of any Australian summer," Ms Guthrie said.

"I am really delighted we are continuing to forge a strong partnership with Cricket Australia to provide live commentary to as many Australians as possible."

James Sutherland, who announced last week his intention to stand down as CA boss, said he was disappointed with a report published on Thursday, which claimed the ABC would no longer broadcast cricket.

"We were very disappointed by inaccurate reporting this week suggesting that the ABC would no longer broadcast cricket. It undermined our commitment to the ABC and the ABC's longstanding commitment to cricket," Sutherland said.

"Never for a minute had it crossed our minds that the ABC was not a staple in the Australian cricketing summer.

"Radio has long been an important part of how people enjoy cricket in Australia over the summer, and the breadth and depth of these agreements ensures that people will be able to tune in to the cricket action regardless of where they are."

On Thursday politicians from across the political spectrum came out in force to defend the ABC amid the reports its agreement with CA may not be renewed.

Sutherland said he was not surprised by the response.

"I'm one of those fans as well and have been since I was a little kid and that's how — certainly when I'm listening on the radio — that's how I consume or engage with cricket," he said.

Sutherland put the rumours about the agreement down to rival networks looking to get a competitive advantage at the late stage in the broadcast deal.

"I guess it's competitive tension isn't it? People will go to various lengths, appropriate and on occasion inappropriate, to try to get a competitive advantage," he said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.