Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
By Kristian Silva

Suspended Logan Mayor Luke Smith taken to hospital after court appearance

Mr Smith had blood on his temple in the back of an unmarked police car on Friday.

Suspended Logan mayor Luke Smith has been hospitalised after he appeared in court with a bloodstained plaster on his head where he was granted bail on Monday morning.

Mr Smith was arrested on Friday after a disturbance at Meadowbrook, south of Brisbane, and charged with assault, wilful damage and obstructing police.

He remained in custody at the Beenleigh watch house over the weekend.

On Monday morning, the Beenleigh Magistrates Court granted Mr Smith bail, but he did not leave the court watch house on his own.

In a statement, police said he had been taken to hospital.

"Nurses conduct medical assessments of all defendants at the Beenleigh watch house each morning," a police spokesman said.

"As a result of this assessment a 48-year-old man was transported to hospital by police as is standard procedure."

Police said it was not known what condition or injuries Mr Smith suffered that warranted hospital treatment.

In court, police prosecutors had opposed bail, but Magistrate Athol Kennedy granted Mr Smith temporary freedom with strict conditions.

He will not be allowed to make contact with crown witnesses, must abstain from alcohol, and will be required to report to police twice a week.

He appeared in the dock sporting a large, bloodstained plaster on his right temple.

The court was closed for most of the hearing, meaning allegations against Mr Smith and police arguments for why his bail was opposed were not public.

When the court was reopened, Mr Kennedy described the case as a "serious matter" and warned Mr Smith he would be sent to prison if he breached his bail.

His friends and lawyers made no comment outside court.

Mr Smith is already fighting charges of perjury and corruption, which were laid by the Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) earlier this year.

He has vowed to fight those allegations but was stood down from his role after the Queensland Government passed legislation that automatically suspends councillors accused of serious charges.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.