Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Suspended AIBA president Wu to step down from post

AIBA President Wu Ching-Kuo attends a news conference in Baku September 24, 2011. REUTERS/Osman Karimov

(Reuters) - The International Boxing Association's (AIBA) suspended president Wu Ching-kuo announced on Monday that he would step down from his post to "resolve the management issues" within the Olympic sport's governing body.

Wu, who will be replaced by interim chief Franco Falcinelli, said in a joint statement with the Swiss-based organisation that he would withdraw and terminate related pending procedures before civil courts and the AIBA disciplinary commission.

"I step down in the best interests of both AIBA and boxing but I remain committed to ensure a smooth handover to the new leadership," the 70-year-old Wu, who has been at the helm for 11 years, said.

The AIBA would convene an extraordinary congress with its national member federations on Jan. 27 in Dubai to consider proposed changes to its governance, the statement added.

Wu was provisionally suspended by a disciplinary commission last month after a complaint from 11 AIBA executive committee members who alleged he had "violated and continues to violate various provisions of AIBA's Statutes and Codes".

AIBA has been riven with in-fighting for months, with Taiwan's Wu pitted against most of the executive committee who failed to remove him through a vote of no confidence in July.

(Reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru; editing by Clare Fallon)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.