Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National
By Kathleen Calderwood and Kevin Nguyen

Suspect hitches ride after developer fatally stabbed and son wounded at construction site

NSW Police leaving the scene of the stabbings in St Peters.

A manhunt is underway for the man suspected of killing a property developer and critically wounding his son at their inner-Sydney construction site.

Albert Metledge, 76, was found dead by paramedics at a construction site he owned on Applebee Street, in St Peters, around 1:00pm on Wednesday.

His son Antony, 33, was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in a critical condition. The ABC understands he is in a stable condition after surgery.

The father and son were well respected within Sydney's Lebanese community.

Emergency services said the pair were stabbed by a 49-year-old man who fled the scene and hitched a ride and was last seen in Rockdale — about 6 kilometres from the crime scene.

NSW Police have launched a massive manhunt and have pooled together significant resources — including police helicopters, dog units and riot squad personnel — from across the inner west to track down the suspect.

The man was described as being Caucasian, about 180 centimetres tall with a large build and a shaved head.

Police said he was last seen wearing a high-vis yellow shirt, long blue work pants and brown work boots and may have been carrying a construction helmet.

He was last seen hitching a ride in Rockdale — about 6 kilometres from the crime scene — but police would not confirm if the driver appeared to know the suspect.

Inspector Chad Deegenaars said the man was "capable of a violent" act and was "known" to police, but not "adversely" so.

"He is known to us, but nothing overly alarming," the inspector said.

"Don't approach this gentlemen if you see him."

Police said the three men involved were known to each other and it was not a "random attack", but would not elaborate on those details.

Inspector Deegenaars said the suspect "did not have a fixed address" and was between homes.

Authorities also secured the object used in the stabbing for forensic investigation.

Around 3:00pm, a distressed woman was seen running up Applebee St, saying: "Is he dead?"

She was then taken out of sight by police, where she could be heard crying and wailing.

Inspector Deegenaars said the incident had been traumatic for all involved, from the family, to co-workers at the construction site and for emergency responders.

"It's the worst news anyone can hear," he said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.