Get all your news in one place.
100's of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Economic Times
The Economic Times

Supreme Court directs Delhi High Court to decide coal scam appeals within four weeks

The Supreme Court on Wednesday directed the Delhi High Court not to grant a stay on any trials of the coal block allocation scam cases and asked the court to decide on the pending appeals of accused within four weeks to ensure their rights are not adversely affected, reported PTI.

The news agency reports that the SC bench consisting of Chief Justice Surya Kant along with justices Joymalya Bagchi and V Mohana passed the orders after pointing out that in some coal cases the accused have appealed to the High Court, whilst in others, the apex court.

Read more: SC likely to quash FIRs against student protesters, exempts those with serious criminal records

"No interim stay can be granted by the Delhi High Court. However, keeping in view the fact that non-stay of the trial may prejudice the rights of the accused, the high court is directed to decide such petitions preferably in four weeks," stated the bench’s order as reported by PTI.

The bench mentioned that it hasn’t opined on the veracity of any case, reports the agency.

The apex court said last month that the prosecution and accused can move the Delhi High Court challenging acquittals or convictions recorded by the special judge. The development had come amidst it replacing its nearly 12-year-old order mandating appeals arising from the orders of special court in coal block allocation scam cases.

Read more: SC to set up high-powered panel to probe allegations of police excesses during NEET protest

The development came amidst it replacing its nearly 12-year-old order mandating appeals arising from the orders of special court in coal block allocation scam cases to be filed in the top court.

Last month, whilst relaxing its nearly 12-year-old order mandating that appeals arising from orders of special courts in coal block allocation scam cases be filed in the top court, the bench said that the prosecution and accused could move the Delhi High Court challenging acquittals or convictions recorded by the special judge.

PTI reports that in 2014, after taking cognisance of the PILs, the SC quashed 214 coal blocks allocated by the Centre between 1993 and 2010 and ordered a trial by a special CBI judge.

The apex court directed that all appeals against orders on framing of charge, quashing of case and bail petitions passed by the special designated court must be filed only before it and not the Delhi High Court.

The SC said the restriction was brought in to prevent the accused from delaying trials in coal scam cases.

The accused who were aggrieved with the decision of the top court have repeatedly sought the modification of the direction whilst complaining that loss of one appellate forum against the orders of the trial court was prejudicial to them.

According to the agency, the apex court, in 2024, said it would consider pleas seeking modification of its earlier orders that barred high courts from hearing appeals against trial court orders passed in cases related to alleged illegal coal block allocations.

PTI reports that the apex court passed two orders between 2014 and 2017 restricting the accused from approaching the high court, directing that the appeals against trial court proceedings in the coal scam cases could only be filed in the SC.

The agency reports that the CBI has filed 57 cases in the coal scam with several consequential money laundering cases being concomitantly filed

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100's of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.