The Super League general manager, Blake Solly, has confirmed that the competition’s salary cap will not be raised following a board meeting with all 12 clubs this week.
On the day when Salford Red Devils were charged by the Rugby Football League over alleged breaches of the £1.825m cap in 2014 and 2015, Solly said that the clubs were in agreement in their decision to keep the cap as it is.
“It was a short discussion,” Solly told the Guardian. “The clubs were unanimous that there are is no reason to change the salary cap. The marquee player ruling, which was introduced last year, was a good move and a step forward and something for Super League clubs to utilise rather than increase the cap.
“Everyone has worked hard to create sustainable clubs and increasing the cap goes against that. Super League over 30 weeks is our bread and butter, so we’ve got to make sure that after having done so much hard work, we don’t alter it for the benefit of three games.”
Salford are the first club to be charged with alleged cap breaches since the live salary cap was introduced. They could be docked as many as 20 points if found guilty, but the most recent club to be found guilty of such indiscretions, Wigan, were docked four points nine years ago after going over £1.6m limit then in place.
A statement from the governing body said: “The RFL has issued charges in relation to alleged breaches of the RFL Operational Rules and Salary Cap Regulations concerning contractual arrangements made with Salford players in 2014 and 2015.
“The charges will be considered by an independent Off Field Operational Rules Tribunal, at a date to be confirmed.” That tribunal is expected to be held next month. Although the Salford owner, Marwan Koukash, was unavailable for comment he did tweet: “I do not know what all this fuss is about. Calm down!!!”
I do not know what all this fuss is about .
— Marwan Koukash (@drmarwanK) March 4, 2016
Calm down !!!
Solly also confirmed that following another heavy defeat for Super League in the World Club Series, the competition is likely to remain a six-team event, despite talk that it could expand to eight. “Nothing has been confirmed, but it’s likely it’ll stay how it is,” he said. “We have to have some meetings and then speak to the NRL, who are also going through their own post-tournament processes, then we can properly nail down a format and the weekend it will be held on next year.”