Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
Sport
David Wharton

Suicide bombers targeted 2014 Sochi Olympics, Russian official says

Nov. 16--Female suicide bombers planning to smuggle explosives aboard an airplane in hand cream were thwarted on the eve of the 2014 Sochi Olympics, a top Russian official said.

Deputy Foreign Minister Oleg Syromolotov spoke about the purported terrorist attack on Monday.

"There had been major terrorist threats, including a terrorist attack against a plane," Syromolotov told the Tass news agency. "The operation was carried out in four countries by five secret services. On the eve of the Olympics, all plotters involved were detained in Austria and in France."

Syromolotov, who gave no further details, made his comments in the wake of the terror attacks on Paris, as Russia asked the West to cooperate with the Kremlin in the fight against terrorism.

In the winter of 2014, insurgents in nearby Chechnya and Dagestan republics had called for violence at the Sochi Olympics.

Numerous countries -- including the U.S. -- joined with Russian security to safeguard the Games. The competition was held with no disruptions.

MORE FROM SPORTS

Holly Holm shoots to the top of Times' MMA rankings

Saints will fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, report says

Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez has a lot to say on upcoming fight with Miguel Cotto

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.