
The Sudanese ambassador to Egypt will be reinstated to his position on Monday, ending two months of tensions between the neighboring countries.
The announcement has “assured” official Egyptian circles, an informed Egyptian source told Asharq Al-Awsat.
Abdul Mahmoud Abdul Hamid is expected to resume his duties on Monday and the source said that Egypt had ordered all concerned sides in the Egypt-Sudan file to exercise the greatest level of calm since the crisis erupted in January.
The source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said that Cairo was keen to avert escalating the situation with Khartoum.
It deemed a success a summit that was held between Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia at the end of January, saying that a follow up meeting that ensued also helped ease the tensions and overcome the crisis.
Khartoum has not explained why it recalled its envoy early in January. But disputes over the ownership of the Halayeb Triangle border area and Egyptian suspicion of a Sudan-Turkey naval agreement have strained ties.
“Relations between our people and our countries are historic and maintaining them is a responsibility. Setting them on the right path is a duty,” Ghandour told Reuters on Saturday.
A committee including the foreign ministers and heads of intelligence from both countries met in Cairo last month in an attempt to cool tensions.
Sudan has accused Cairo of political meddling and banned imports of Egyptian agricultural products last year.