
A Sudanese court issued a death sentence by hanging to a member of the former dissolved Sudanese security agency for deliberately shooting dead a demonstrator during the protests.
The court, chaired by Judge Al-Sadiq Abkar, convicted Ashraf Eltayeb Abdel Mutalib of premeditated murder and crimes against humanity for killing Hassan Mohammad Omar with a gunshot wound to the neck during 2018 protests.
The Sudanese security services arrested a high-ranking officer of the ousted regime and a number of leaders of the dissolved National Congress Party, including a suspect in the attempted assassination of Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok last year.
The committee to dismantle the former regime said it had arrested Major General Security Mohammad Hamid Tabidi, who was the media director of the dissolved security apparatus until the fall of the regime of ousted President Omar al-Bashir in April 2019.
Tabidi has a record of harassing journalists, during a period that witnessed widespread violations of press freedoms and human rights.
The committee stated that it arrested Tabidi for organizing the movement of the members of the dissolved party and the Islamic movement.
Sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that information obtained by the security services indicated that the ousted regime units were aiming to create violence and sabotage during the peaceful protests commemorating June 30.
They indicated that members of the dissolved party were arrested through the dismantling committee and the security services, after obtaining confirmed data and information about intensive movements, activities, and preparations to infiltrate the peaceful demonstrators on June 30.
The committee seized the mobile phones of Bashir and seven of his aides in Kober Central Prison, which they used to contact prominent leaders who fled the country after the toppling of the former regime.
The authorities also monitored meetings of the members of the regime in Khartoum and a number of states, planning to organize hostile activities on June 30.
They were helped by foreign centers working to fabricate and spread rumors to create chaos in the country.
The sources confirmed that the arrest campaign will continue to apprehend all the groups being monitored by the security services.