
The organizers of protesters in Sudan submitted late on Saturday their demands to the newly formed transitional military council, saying they will maintain their rallies until a civilian government is formed.
A 10-member delegation representing the protesters delivered their demands during talks late Saturday, according to a statement by umbrella group the Alliance for Freedom and Change, reported AFP.
"We will continue... our sit-in until all our demands are met," including the formation of a fully civilian government, one of the alliance's leaders, Omar al-Degier, said in the statement.
The umbrella group insists that civilian representatives should be accepted onto the military council, and that a fully civilian government should be formed to run day-to-day affairs.
"We surely want our demands to be met, but both sides will have to be flexible to reach a deal," said a protester who spent the night at the army complex.
Thousands remained encamped outside Khartoum's army headquarters overnight to keep up the pressure on the military council that took power after ousting veteran leader Omar al-Bashir on Thursday.
On Saturday, the new chief of the military council General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan vowed to dismantle Bashir's regime and lifted a night time curfew with immediate effect.
Burhan also pledged that individuals implicated in killing protesters would face justice and that protesters detained under a state of emergency imposed by Bashir during his final weeks in power would be freed.
He took the oath of office on Friday after his predecessor General Awad Ibn Ouf stepped down little more than 24 hours after ousting Bashir.
Tens of thousands of people have massed outside the army headquarters since April 6, initially to urge the armed forces to back their demand that Bashir be removed.
Degier said their demands include restructuring the country's feared National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS), whose chief Salih Ghosh resigned on Saturday.
Rights group Amnesty International on Saturday urged the military council to examine Ghosh's actions during a crackdown against protesters during the final weeks of Bashir's rule.
"It is crucial that Sudan's new authorities investigate Salah Ghosh's role in the killings of scores of Sudanese protesters over the past four months", said Amnesty's regional director Sarah Jackson.
The newly formed 10-member transitional council contains several faces from Bashir's regime.
On Saturday evening, the new military ruler named NISS deputy head Jalaluddin Sheikh to the council.
He also nominated Mohammad Hamdan Daglo -- known as Himeidti -- a field commander for the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) counter-insurgency unit, which rights groups have accused of abuses in war-torn Darfur.
One of the protesters taking part in the sit-in outside the army headquarters said he was ambivalent about Himeidti's appointment.
"We don't have many options -- they (the RSF) have guns, they have money," said Mohamed, who gave only his first name for security reasons.
"Himeidti was part of the crimes that happened previously but at least now he is on the side of the people," he added.