Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Evening Standard
Evening Standard
Business
Joanna Bourke

Student digs firm Unite resumes building

Student digs firm Unite on Wednesday warned completion of new buildings will be delayed this year due to Covid-19 disruption, but construction has now restarted across the business.

Scores of building sites temporarily shut across the industry last month, as firms reacted to the lockdown.

Unite today said: “Work has now re-started across all sites with reduced numbers of operatives to maintain social distancing, in accordance with recent Government advice.”

The landlord and developer expects rental income for the current academic year to be up to 20% lower. It has allowed students who returned home during the lockdown to forgo rent for accommodation they weren’t using.

Unite said it is looking to conserve cash. Measures include a 30% salary cut for executive directors for four months.

Richard Smith, chief executive of Unite, said: "We are committed to doing the right thing for our customers, colleagues and other stakeholders, despite the unprecedented times we face. This underpinned our decision to forgo rent for students wishing to return home for the remainder of the current academic year and the reduction in board remuneration announced today.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.