
While it was nothing on the storms that smashed southeast Queensland a few days ago, the Hunter copped its own taste of mother nature's fury yesterday.
Wind gusts of more than 70km/h hit Nobbys in the afternoon as a low pressure system made its way over the coast, leading to severe weather and marine wind warnings for the region.
Almost 17mm of rain fell in Cessnock in one hour while Singleton received 23.6mm between 10am and 5pm.
Thankfully, Hunter State Emergency Service crews had only received about 10 calls for assistance before 5pm. But some Lower Hunter SES members were kept busy during the day - just not in NSW.
About 30 SES volunteers and staff on Wednesday traveled across the northern border to southeast Queensland, where storms have caused more than $100 million in damages.
More than 1000 calls for assistance have been received since the severe storm hit on Saturday - a figure comparable to the Hunter's 2015 April superstorm.
The local crews traveled in convoy to assist with the recovery, and Hunter SES spokesperson Alex Varley said they had been deployed to the Ipswich area. They will remain there until they return home on Sunday, when they will be replaced by another team.
"That will be ongoing until all the jobs are complete," she said.
Ms Varley said some of the local crews up north told her they had met some of the Hunter members when they came down to assist in the 2015 superstorm, and were appreciative of the favour being returned.
IN THE NEWS:
- Transport for NSW tweaks design of long-awaited M1 Motorway extension to Raymond Terrace
- Senior Newcastle police officer, Sergeant Troy Robbs, demoted for making sleazy comments to junior female staffers
- Newcastle's "forgotten diva" Florence Austral in the spotlight once more at U3A anniversary celebrations
- No new community COVID-19 cases found in NSW or Victoria