Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
Entertainment
Louise Lavigueur

Strictly pro Oti Mabuse set to 'replace' John Barrowman as Dancing On Ice judge

Strictly Come Dancing pro Oti Mabuse has reportedly landed a new role on the judging panel of Dancing On Ice.

The 31-year-old has been considered to take an ''obvious'' next step for her career as she looks set to replace John Barrowman, 54, who ITV announced in October would not be returning to the show.

Fans of the star will no doubt appreciate her switching things up after six years as a Strictly pro and and the show's only dancer to win two-years running - first with Kelvin Fletcher and then with Bill Bailey last year.

She's also proved popular as a judge on ITV show The Masked Dancer and BBC One’s The Greatest Dancer.

Oti Mabuse has already appeared as a judge on two other talent shows (PA)
Strictly Star Oti is looking to get stuck into Dancing On Ice in the New Year (PA)

A source told the The Sun on Sunday : "Signing up Oti is a brilliant coup for ITV bosses. They’re really excited about her joining the show.

"She has excellent dance experience and technical knowledge, an infectious on-screen energy and has a massive fanbase from her time on Strictly, which helps draw viewers."

They added: "It’s also a great move for Oti’s career and the obvious next step for her."

The insider admitted Oti would not ''cut ties'' with the BBC but after a welcome rest for the Christmas break would be ''getting stuck into'' Dancing On Ice next month.

And although Dancing On Ice producers are yet to officially announce the switch, Christopher Dean told The Radio Times they were looking for ''wonderful energy'' from the new judge adding: "I think it'll feel fresh and different again, so we're excited."

Proud pair: Oti and Bil Bailey smashed the 2019 Strictly competition and lifted the Glitterball trophy (PA)

The star's apparent new role comes as Strictly fans are coming down after last night's phenomenal end to Strictly 2021 competition - which of course saw Oti and partner, England rugby player Ugo Monye leave much earlier in the show.

The star hinted she may be ready to turn her talents elsewhere after suffering back problems during competing in this year's Strictly series.

She told The Telegraph : ''I love to dance and also I love bringing joy to so many people, but... I think that will be the last one.

''To be part of a show like Strictly, which is so diverse in every sense of the word, is incredible... But honestly, as a woman, I can’t be dancing forever."

Oti's representatives did not want to comment.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.