Gorka Marquez is said to have confided his “relief” at stepping back from this year’s troubled Strictly Come Dancing, following a spate of damaging headlines surrounding the BBC ballroom show.
The Spanish dancer, 34, who has been a fixture on the hit programme since 2016, will not be competing as a main professional this year after signing on as a judge for Bailando con las Estrellas, Spain’s equivalent of Strictly.
While Marquez did pre-record appearances for the group dances that will feature in the upcoming series, he is understood to have told friends that the timing of his departure could not have worked out better.
A source told The Sun on Sunday: “Gorka loves Strictly and is so proud to be one of the longest-serving pros, but he’s said he’ll be relieved not to be there during another fraught series while the show and its cast are accused of toxic behaviour.

“He’s very excited to have been part of the group dances and loves everyone on the show. But this is the third year in a row where the programme has been hit with questions about bullying, chaperones and everything else. He can’t deny the timing has worked out well and he’s looking forward to spreading his wings on Spanish Strictly.”
Strictly has been under a cloud for months, with the latest allegations adding to mounting pressure on the long-running show.
Reports emerged last week that an unnamed cast member had been arrested on suspicion of rape. This follows earlier claims that two stars had used cocaine, as well as ongoing rows over the culture behind the scenes.
In recent years, actress Amanda Abbington accused professional Giovanni Pernice of bullying during rehearsals, while tenor Wynne Evans sparked controversy after making a crude “spit-roast” comment during a Strictly tour photocall in 2024.
Marquez, who joined the BBC series in 2016 and has reached the final three times, remains popular with fans and is widely regarded as one of its most charismatic performers.
Responding to the claims, a spokesperson for Marquez said: “Gorka does not feel this way at all; he is delighted to still be a part of Strictly alongside his Spanish filming schedule.”