SUNRISE, Fla. _ Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie says he will discipline staff members at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School "as early as next week" after a state investigation determined some administrators missed warning signs about the massacre.
Runcie, testifying before the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Public Safety Commission on Thursday, did not say who would be disciplined or what the discipline would be. He said he would first inform the families of the 17 people who died. Those families have been among the loudest voices urging him for months to hold school officials accountable.
"We were waiting on results from the commission so we could use the information we had to inform the actions we need to take," Runcie said.
A commission report said that students reported telling an administrator about strange behavior by future gunman Nikolas Cruz. One student thought they reported it to Assistant Principal Jeff Morford, while the other thought it was reported to Principal Ty Thompson. Commission investigators believe it was Morford.
The students said Cruz looked up firearms on a school computer in class, had posted on Instagram pictures of firearms and had brought a knife or bullets to school.
One of the students said Morford "told him he should Google the word autism."
Morford and Thompson denied ever being alerted by these students.
So far, only two Stoneman Douglas employees have been disciplined. Both were low-paid security monitors, Andrew Medina and David Taylor.
The district decided to not renew their contracts for 2018-19 after testimony by Medina showed that he was the first to see Cruz enter campus with a rifle bag. However, he didn't confront Cruz or call for an emergency lockdown. Instead, he alerted Taylor, who hid in a closet during the shooting.