Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Sport
Ed Aarons

Stoke interested in signing Ecuadorian striker José Angulo

José Angulo
José Angulo has scored six goals for Independiente del Valle to help them reach the final of the Copa Libertadores. Photograph: Guillermo Granja/Reuters

Stoke are interested in signing the striker José Angulo from the Ecuadorian side Independiente del Valle but face competition from clubs in Spain, France and Italy.

Angulo, who has scored six goals for Independiente to help them reach the final of the Copa Libertadores, has attracted interest from several clubs in Europe and Mexico.

Independiente are due to face the Colombian side Atlético Nacional in the first leg of the Libertadores final on Wednesday having beaten Boca Juniors in the semi-final. Angulo scored in the first-leg victory over the Argentinians earlier this month and, according to his agent, it was this performance that brought him to the attention of English scouts.

“So far Stoke and Monaco have shown an interest but I’m sure when the Copa Libertadores final game is played there will be other Premier League clubs involved,” Matias Lipman told the Guardian.

It is understood that another of Angulo’s representatives, Gustavo Mascardi, agent of the Juventus forward Paulo Dybala, has also fielded interest from Atlético Madrid, Sevilla and the Serie A side Palermo. The 21-year-old has yet to receive a call-up to the Ecuador senior squad but is expected to make the progression in the next few months and could therefore receive special dispensation for a UK work permit.

Stoke’s manager, Mark Hughes, confirmed on Tuesday that he has lodged a bid for the West Bromwich Albion striker Saido Berahino, who is also interesting Crystal Palace. It is understood that any move for Angulo would not be dependent on Berahino’s arrival.

Meanwhile Juventus have told Stoke and Leicester they will not consider their £12m bid for Mario Lemina until after they return from their tour to Australia. The Gabon midfielder’s departure could depend on the future of Paul Pogba, with Manchester United expected to lodge a £100m bid for the Frenchman.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.