Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
World
Ben Kentish

Stockholm attack: police arrest man 'claiming responsibility'

A man has been arrested in connection with the Stockholm lorry attack, with reports suggesting he was detained in Marsta, around 25 miles north of the Swedish capital. 

Swedish media are reporting that he admitted being involved in the attack and was captured wearing a balaclava, but officers do not believe he was the driver of the truck.

He is reported to be a 39-year-old Uzbek national whose registered address is in suburban Stockholm. The man is said to work in the building industry and have four children, but acquaintances said he had never discussed politics or religion with them.

Some reports suggested he had previously posted pro-Isis propaganda on his Facebook page. But friends told Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet they did not believe he had anything to do with the attack.

At least four people are confirmed to have have been killed and 15 are being treated in hospital after a truck was driven into crowds in the centre of the city on Friday afternoon. 

Police released an image of a man wearing a green jacket, grey hoodie and white shoes who they are hunting in connection with the attack, but stopped short of formally describing him as a suspect.

Jan Evensson of Stockholm police said the man arrested in Märsta "matched exactly" the profile of the person in the image.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing a police chase involving 10-15 police vehicles before the man was apprehended. He is said to have been driving a white van.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.