Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
Sport
Tom Kershaw

Steve Bruce rebuffs criticism over delayed start date as Sheffield Wednesday manager

Steve Bruce has defended himself after being heavily criticised by Danny Murphy and Ruud Gullit on Sunday during coverage of Sheffield Wednesday’s tie against Chelsea.

Bruce was confirmed as Wednesday’s new manager at the beginning of the month but will not take charge until February due to health reasons.

The 58-year-old has undergone two operations since departing Aston Villa in October and is currently on a family holiday in Barbados following the England cricket team.

Bruce, who had not been planning to return to manager so quickly, said he had promised his wife he would go on the trip after a traumatic 2018 in which both his parents passed away, and was given full blessing to do so by Wednesday.

Speaking to The Telegraph in response to Murphy and Gullit, Bruce said: 

Bruce is currently on holiday with his family in Barbados (Getty)

“I have had two operations and I’ve been recovering in Barbados. I did not hide anything from Sheffield Wednesday and they were perfectly happy with the plan. It was done with their full support.

“I wouldn’t have taken the job if they were not aware of the situation and what I needed to have done. I was completely open and honest with them when we talked about me taking the job. It is extremely disappointing that people have tried to make something negative out of it.

“I don’t want this to drag on and on. I don’t want to be answering questions about this in the days and weeks to come. What I’ve had done in terms of my operations is also a private matter. I hope people can understand what has happened and can let me concentrate on managing the team. That is all I’m thinking about. I can’t wait to get started now.”

The BBC pundits came under intense scrutiny for their commments, particularly Murphy who said: “You’re sunning yourself watching the cricket for whatever reason. It’s not something any manager I’ve played under would have done.”

Steve Bruce’s son, Alex, responded angrily to the comments in a Tweet:

“Maybe if Ruud and Danny had been managing since 1998, lost a father, a mother, a job, had health issues of his own too to cope with all in the space of around six months they and others would understand why he needed a short break from football,” Alex Bruce said.

Keep up to date with all the latest transfer news, rumours and done deals throughout the January window​

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.