Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
USA Today Sports Media Group
USA Today Sports Media Group
Sport
Dave Doyle

Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson vs. Vicente Luque set for UFC 244

Another intriguing welterweight matchup has been set for UFC 244. But it’s a bout that one competitor said he wasn’t interested in just a few days ago.

ESPN’s Brett Okamoto tweeted Wednesday that per UFC president Dana White, Stephen Thompson and Vicente Luque has been agreed upon for the Nov. 2 card at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Thompson, who was a guest fighter at UFC 242 in Abu Dhabi, told MMA Junkie he wasn’t particularly interested in a fight with Luque, who had called Thompson out after defeating Mike Perry last month.

Regardless, the 36-year old Thompson (14-4-1 MMA, 9-4-1 UFC) has accepted the bout with Luque and will look to shake off a two-fight losing streak. The two-time welterweight title challenger most recently lost via second-round knockout at the hands of Anthony Pettis at UFC on ESPN+ 6 on March 23.

Luque (17-6-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC), for his part, has quietly put together one of the division’s finest runs in recent years. His split-decision victory in a brutal affair against Perry last month in Uruguay was his sixth win in a row and earned the New Jersey resident by way of Brazil his second “Fight of the Night” bonus in his past three fights.

UFC 244 will be headlined by Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal in a welterweight fight with the “BMF” belt going to the winner.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.