
It was a simple text message received by many across the region last week that broke the heart of Kiera-Lee Mayers.
The Tenambit mother and her husband Nicholas have been trying for four years to have their second child via in vitro fertilisation (IVF).
They had decided their sixth round, and third of this year, would be their last attempt as the medication Mr Mayers was on in order to conceive was having side effects and they wanted him to stop taking them.
But on their way to the hospital for egg collection on Wednesday, they received the text message that almost instantly shattered their dreams.
"My husband received a message that said his work had become an exposure site and he had to get tested and isolate," Ms Mayers said.
"He works in a kitchen, nowhere near anybody, but he still was there at the time.
"We went to the hospital anyway and I told them through the door 'we just got a message, what does this mean' and they said 'you can't come in'."
Ms Mayers said she was devastated - this would be something that would affect her for the rest of her life.
"That was it," she said. "We decided beforehand this would have been our last try.
"It didn't end on our terms or it didn't end because it didn't happen naturally. It happened because someone came here from Sydney and did the wrong thing.
"We missed our last opportunity to have a baby due to the carelessness of someone else."
The couple had ideally wanted three children, but were just hopeful of a second after struggling to conceive again following the birth of their first born.
Ms Mayers said her mental health had already deteriorated through her journey to conceive, exacerbated by COVID-19 lockdowns and income losses.
"I don't think this has really fully hit just yet," she said. "I'm sad, but I haven't been as sad as on previous rounds.
"We can't even see anyone - my mum hasn't been able to come over since. It's not quite the same talking on the phone as getting a big hug from your mum."
Ms Mayers said she and her husband had done "everything possible" to stay safe and avoid the virus.
"We just stayed at home, went to work, the hospital and the supermarket," she said. "We had even ordered our groceries online, and it didn't even matter."
She said her message to those who flouted the rules was simple.
"Just stay home, the rules are so clear," she said.
"I don't know what it will take for people to do the right thing.
"We've been tested and we're so lucky it did turn out negative. It could have even been worse, we could have been positive."