
Sir Keir Starmer has condemned the “senseless” Russian strikes on Ukraine overnight that killed more than a dozen people and caused damage to a British Council building in Kyiv.
He said Russian leader Vladimir Putin is “sabotaging” hopes of peace as US-led efforts to negotiate an end to the conflict struggle to gain traction.
Russia launched a mass drone and missile attack on Kyiv, including a strike in the centre of the city, marking its first combined attacked on the Ukrainian capital in weeks.

The Prime Minister posted on X: “My thoughts are with all those affected by the senseless Russian strikes on Kyiv which have damaged the British Council building.
“Putin is killing children and civilians, and sabotaging hopes of peace. This bloodshed must end.”
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said: “Russia chooses ballistics instead of the negotiating table.
My thoughts are with all those affected by the senseless Russian strikes on Kyiv which have damaged the British Council building.
— Keir Starmer (@Keir_Starmer) August 28, 2025
Putin is killing children and civilians, and sabotaging hopes of peace.
This bloodshed must end.
“We expect a response from everyone in the world who has called for peace but now more often stays silent rather than taking principled positions.”
The British Council said its office in Kyiv had been “severely damaged”.
“Following last night’s attack, our British Council office in Kyiv has been severely damaged and will remain closed to the public until further notice.
“Thankfully, our colleagues are all safe and our work with our Ukrainian partners in education and culture will continue uninterrupted,” a spokesperson said.
It posted a picture showing the building with its windows and entrance smashed open and surrounded by glass and debris.
A guard who was injured is “shaken but stable”, the organisation’s chief executive Scott McDonald posted on X.
Following last night’s attack on Kyiv, our office has been severely damaged and is closed to visitors until further notice. Sadly, one of our guards was injured and is now in hospital. While responses may be delayed, our work with 🇺🇦 partners in education and culture continues. pic.twitter.com/Zth8Uo0byw
— British Council (@uaBritish) August 28, 2025
Three children are among the 14 confirmed dead so far, the city’s administration said, with numbers expected to rise as rescue teams search for people trapped under the rubble.
The European Union delegation building in Kyiv was also damaged but staff were not harmed, EU president Ursula von der Leyen said.
Russia’s ministry of defence said it shot down 102 Ukrainian drones overnight, mostly in the country’s south-west.