Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Dublin Live
Dublin Live
National
Gavin O'Callaghan

Stardust campaigners say they've received confirmation new inquest will be ordered

The Attorney General is set to order a new inquest into the Stardust disaster, according to campaigners.

The news is set to be officially announced tomorrow while the victims' justice group have said they "never believed this day would come".

The Justice for the Stardust 48 group, which is made up of the victims' family members and survivors, say they'd be making a more detailed statement on Thursday, and have asked for time so they can "absorb" the news.

They said: "We have just received confirmation from the Attorney General that he WILL GRANT us a new inquest.

"This is amazing news, we never believed this day would come as you can imagine we are completely overwhelmed with the news and would ask that people give us space tonight to be with our families to absorb it.

"We will be making a full statement tomorrow.

Families of victims and survivors of the 1981 Stardust fire during a protest march to the Attorney General's Office to hand over 48,000 signatures they have collected calling for a new inquest into the fire. (Gareth Chaney, Collins)

"Thank you all so much for all your Support."

Darragh Mackin, of Phoenix Law who acts for the Stardust Truth and Justice Committee also commented saying the families are "delighted".

He said: “The Attorney General has today confirmed that our clients’ application for a fresh inquest has been successful.

"The families are delighted with today’s decision, however would ask that their privacy is respected tonight.”

The news comes after decades of demonstrations and protests with families previously being told there'd be no new inquiries.

A fresh appeal was sent in April and a decision was expected to be made by the Attorney General by July - now the families have finally been told there'll be an inquest.

Stardust nightclub (Collins Dublin)

The fire, which broke out at the Artane nightclub on Valentine's Night 1981, claimed the lives of 48 young people.

A tribunal held in 1982 and chaired by Justice Ronan Keane found the cause of the fire to be "probably arson".

The families disputed disputed this conclusion and in 2009, an independent examination into the tribunal found there was no evidence to support Justice Keane's conclusion.

In 2017, a report from retired Judge Pat McCartan found no new inquiry into the fire was warranted.

The families have rejected Judge McCartan's findings, leading to them collecting the signatures demanding a fresh inquest.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.