
UPDATE 11:45AM FRIDAY
The Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle has confirmed a sixth case at St Patrick's Primary School.
EARLIER
ST PATRICK's Primary School at Cessnock has told its students' families that it is investigating five active COVID-19 cases in its community.
As previously reported, the school closed on Tuesday and reopened on Wednesday.
The Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle confirmed on Thursday the school had closed again for cleaning and contact tracing, after a third person returned a positive result.
The school wrote to families on Thursday night to advise there were a further two cases.
"As information filters through to us, we are doing our very best to communicate this to you as soon as possible in light of the huge contact tracing load that is being undertaken here at school at the moment," the email said.
"Up until the closure of the school earlier today, we had three confirmed positive cases.
"In the last couple of hours we have been advised of two more positive confirmed cases, so as at 5.30pm this evening we are currently investigating five active positive cases.
"A huge thank you to everyone who is going out and getting tested and as a result of this huge testing regime that our St Patrick's community is undertaking, we are able to quickly identify any positive cases and act accordingly.
"At the moment these last four cases are still with NSW Health awaiting confirmation of contact tracing.
"As stated in earlier correspondence we have had a student who tested negative and two days later tested positive, so please if your child has the mildest of symptoms even if returning a previous negative test, please have your child or yourself retested."
The school thanked families for their "support, patience and understanding".