Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Nottingham Post
Nottingham Post
National
Hannah Mitchell

St Ann's bingo hall demolished for student flats development

The former St Ann's bingo hall is in the process of being completely knocked down ahead of development works.

Most of the iconic structure has been demolished and there is a gaping hole at the back of the site.

Scaffolding has been put up around the final part of the site that needs removing.

Gala Bingo, built in a former ballroom and meeting hall in St Ann's Well Road, closed its doors for the final time on January 31.

The building was boarded up for a number of months until demolition works started earlier this year.

Now the building is almost completely knocked down.

In January, Nottinghamshire Live reported BSP Holdings, advised by Savills, said it acquired the former site from Buzz Group Ltd for an undisclosed sum.

Subject to planning permission, the property development and investment company aim to redevelop the site into a "new residential/student scheme."

Adam Watson, investment director at  BSP Holdings , told Nottinghamshire Live: "This is an exciting project for BSP Holdings.

"We have the opportunity to create a landmark development in Nottingham city centre. This acquisition shows our confidence in the market and represents a multi-million pound investment in the regeneration of Nottingham."

Gala Bingo on St Ann's Well Road (Nottingham Post / Picture It)

The developers said they hoped to bring "high quality" apartments to the city.

Mr Watson added that the bingo hall was in a poor state of repair.

He said: "It's a site that is crying out for redevelopment to help regenerate that area of Nottingham.

"It will bring high-quality apartments to that area of Nottingham. We believe there's a significant demand for that now."

Passers-by previously said the decision to demolish the building and turn it into residential space was "a big shame for the community".

To receive one WhatsApp message a day with the main headlines, as well as breaking news alerts, text NEWS to 07790 586202. Then add the number to your phone contacts book as 'Nottingham Post'. Your phone number won't be shared with other members of the group.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.