Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
World
Dave Burke

Sri Lanka attack death toll has gone down by more than 100

Investigators in Sri Lanka have revised the death toll from the Easter Sunday atrocities to "around" 253 - more than 100 less than originally estimated.

It was previously thought 359 had died in the explosions.

Anil Jasinghe, the director general of Sri Lanka's health services, told Reuters: "It could be 250 or 260. I can't exactly say. There are so many body parts and it is difficult to give a precise figure."

Ruwan Wijewardene, Sri Lanka's deputy defence minister whose ministry is responsible for the island's police force, said the death toll had been revised down to 253 due to inaccurate figures provided by the country's morgues.

"Unfortunately the health ministry provided the earlier number to us," he said.

Authorities now estimate around 253 people died in the Easter Sunday atrocities in Sri Lanka (AFP/Getty Images)
Security forces inspect the scene after a blast targeting The Kingsbury hotel in Colombo (Getty Images)

The Foreign Office has Sri Lanka bombings: Brits warned NOT to travel to country as fears grow of new attacks following the bombings, which also injured more than 500.

Eight Britons were among those killed.

The FCO is urging people not to travel, warning against all but essential travel to Sri Lanka "due to the current evolving security situation following attacks on 21 April 2019".

  Sri Lanka bombings: Brits warned NOT to travel to country as fears grow of new attacks

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said: “Following the horrific attacks on Easter Sunday, and the ongoing Sri Lankan security operation, I have received updated advice from the Foreign Office and decided to update  the travel advice to British nationals to Sri Lanka to advise against all but essential travel.”

It comes after the US Embassy in Columbo warned that more attacks on places of worship may be coming.

In a tweet they said: "Sri Lankan authorities are reporting that additional attacks may occur targeting places of worship. 

"Avoid these areas over the weekend, starting tomorrow, April 26th through Sunday, April 28th. Continue to remain vigilant and avoid large crowds".

ISIS yesterday claimed responsibility for the attacks.

The Cinnamon Grand Hotel was one of those targeted in the attacks in Sri-Lanka

Islamic State plot Gallipoli memorial bomb in revenge for New Zealand shooting 

There were six explosions on the morning of Easter Sunday, three at churches and three at luxury hotels.

A planned fourth bombing, near the airport, failed.

The death cult has repeatedly called for assaults on churches, particularly since the New Zealand mosque attacks.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.