Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Staff Reporter

Spl. pension drive to identify beneficiaries left out

The State government will conduct a special drive to identify the eligible persons whose names were deleted from the list for social security pensions, according to Panchayat Raj and Rural Development Minister Peddireddi Ramachandra Reddy.

The Minister, in a statement on Friday, said that the drive would be conducted for a week wherein MDOs and municipal commissioners would personally visit the houses of applicants who were left out. Those found eligible would be paid February and March pension in March. A comprehensive survey was being conducted on the eligibility criteria, he said, adding eligible persons need not worry.

Volunteers had personally disbursed ₹1,320 crore, nearly 87% of the total pensions, at the doorstep of the beneficiaries on January 1, thus creating a record. A record number of 6.14 lakh new beneficiaries had been identified this month for pension as part of Nava Sakam survey in the State. The names of 4.80 lakh people who were ineligible were deleted. In all, 54.68 lakh beneficiaries were identified in the survey, he said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.