Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Nick Bielby

Spike in car fires a bushfire ignition risk for Hunter region

Ongoing issue: Several cars were found burnt out at Adamstown in late 2018. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

Firefighters have been responding to a surge in the number of car fires across the region - a worrying sign as the Hunter hopes for no increase in ignition risks heading into the bushfire danger period.

Since the start of last week, Fire and Rescue NSW crews have been called to car fires at Abermain, Salamander Bay, Tingira Heights, Teralba, Stockton, Newcastle, Lambton, Cessnock, Merewether and East Maitland.

It comes as the Rural Fire Service looks to the upcoming bushfire season, starting October 1 in the Lower Hunter and September 1 in Singleton, Muswellbrook and the Upper Hunter.

RFS Lower Hunter commander Superintendent Martin Siemsen said car fires were an ongoing issue.

"They're a concern for us from the perspective of starting fires," he said.

"We've had a number of fires - not recently but statistics show - start from car fires and that's concerning.

"We factor that in as another ignition source to bushfires and we just have to accept that, I suppose, in the face of how we manage things."

IN THE NEWS:

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.