
The state's health department has issued a warning about the dangers of ingesting hand sanitiser after a spike in calls to the Poisons Information Centre.
In a statement released on Sunday, NSW Health said there had been an increase in the number of hand sanitiser exposure incidents, mostly by babies and young children ingesting it at home.
"Hand sanitiser products should be stored safely and out of reach of children," senior poison specialist Genevieve Adamo said. "When they are used by young children it should be under the supervision of an adult."
Some imported products may not be clearly labelled and may contain more toxic alcohols, such as methanol, that make the product more dangerous, NSW Health said.
Products may also be packaged in beverage containers, which can increase the risk of accidental ingestion and poisoning.
"Regardless of the quantity, people should always call the Poisons Information Centre [13 11 26] for first aid and monitoring advice and should ensure they have the container of the ingested product," Ms Adamo said.
"Calling the Poisons Information Centre first to see if you or your child needs to go to hospital may prevent unnecessary visits to the Emergency Department and will help to keep Emergency Departments free for emergencies.
"In the current climate, it also prevents people increasing their risk of exposure to COVID-19.
"Washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds is also a safe and effective option to help combat COVID-19."
For advice on possible poisoning, contact the 24 hour Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.