Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Sonam Saigal

Special court rejects Teltumbde’s interim bail plea

Prof. Anand Teltumbde arrives at NIA office to surrender in Bhima Koregaon case, in Mumbai. (Source: The Hindu)

The special NIA lockdown court on Saturday rejected the temporary bail plea filed by Dalit scholar and academic Anand Teltumbde in a case pertaining to the 2018 Bhima-Koregaon violence, and remanded him to judicial custody till May 8.

Special judge D.E. Kothalikar, in-charge of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) court, was hearing Dr. Teltumbde’s plea that sought bail on medical grounds in the wake of novel coronavirus pandemic. He said he was suffering from respiratory problems and hence was more vulnerable to contract COVID-19.

Also read: Day before surrendering to NIA, Anand Teltumbde writes to the people of India

The court rejected the bail after special public prosecutor Prakash Shetty opposed the same. The court also said, “There is material on record for remanding his to judicial custody. Hence, he is remanded to judicial custody till May 8.”

Dr. Teltumbde in Mumbai NIA’s custody, where an Assistant Sub-Inspector of the agency has tested positive for COVID-19.

Dr. Teltumbde, an engineer, CEO of Petronet India Limited, and IIM graduate who taught in the Indian Institute of Technology, was booked in the Elgar Parishad case for his alleged links to the banned Communist Party of India (Maoists), had been remanded to NIA custody till April 25 after he surrendered in Mumbai on April 14.

Also read: Elghar Parishad case | Police get 7-day custody of Gautam Navlakha

Earlier, the NIA had claimed that Dr. Teltumbde’s mobile phone call data records showed he was in contact with people accused in the case and that ‘he was present at the place of offence on relevant period’.

The agency also claimed that Dr Teltumbde was the convenor of the programme, and that he had received funds from CPI (Maoists), and also claimed that electronic articles seized showed his complicity.

Dr Teltumbde and nine others were booked by Pune police where an offence was registered on January 8, 2018, alleging that members of the Communist Party of India (Maoist) and Kabir Kala Manch spread hatred through provocative songs, plays and speeches delivered at Elgar Parishad held at Shaniwar Wada on December 31, 2017, which led to violence following the incident at Bhima-Koregaon. The case was later transferred to NIA on January 24, 2020.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.