Legislation to recognise same-sex and de facto relationships is to be introduced into South Australia’s parliament after an outcry when the marriage of a British man who died in the state was not recorded on his death certificate.
David Bulmer-Rizzi, a charity worker from Sunderland, was killed in a fall while on honeymoon in Adelaide in January. His husband, Marco Bulmer-Rizzi, was initially told David’s death certificate would read “never married” and he was not recognised as the next of kin.
The state’s premier, Jay Weatherill, apologised to Bulmer-Rizzi and gave him his personal guarantee that laws would be amended to prevent such a situation from happening again.
Katrine Hildyard, the assistant minister to the premier, was responsible for introducing a bill to allow for the establishment of a relationships register to which same-sex couples could legally record their relationship.
Hildyard was not available to comment to Guardian Australia but told the ABC the SA government was not going to wait for the federal government to legalise same-sex marriage.
“Whilst we’re waiting for marriage equality, whilst we’re campaigning for it, steps taken to have things like relationships registers in place will mean that couples — same-sex couples and other couples — will be able to be afforded some rights,” she said.
Weatherill has made amending state laws that discriminate against LGBTQI people a priority for his government.
Bulmer-Rizzi travelled from Britain to see the bill introduced to parliament. He told Guardian Australia soon after landing in Adelaide on Thursday morning that it was “incredible” change was coming so soon after his husband’s death.
“It’s very difficult on a personal level but for me to be here is to fulfil my promise to be there for David,” he said. “It’s exciting to have his identity recognised, and an incredible day because what I hoped to do, which is to prevent other couples from going through the same, is hopefully one step closer to becoming reality.”
He said he had heard from thousands of Australians after David’s death. “I feel like literally the world listened to me … If I can do the same for them, if I can add my voice and help same-sex couples be recognised in the eyes of the law, that’s something I’m honoured to do.”
Bulmer-Rizzi said the SA government had been “extraordinarily helpful and really supportive”, and had been in regular contact with him since he left Australia in January.
In May the Department of Immigration and Border Protection sent an email to his late husband, warning him that he had overstayed his visa. “There have been several challenges,” said Bulmer-Rizzi, adding that the SA government had “stepped in” with the immigration department.
Weatherill was flying to Adelaide from Finland on Thursday but is to Bulmer-Rizzi on Saturday morning. “I’m very grateful for all the support that I got back when I needed the most,” Bulmer-Rizzi said.
He will be in Australia for two weeks and intends to return in January for the first anniversary of David’s death. He said he now had a “connection” with Australia, and was following debate about the marriage equality plebiscite with concern.
“I think it’s a very real danger for a plebiscite to promote intolerance … Every effort should be made to keep hate out of the conversation.”
He compared it to the Brexit referendum to leave the European Union, which reportedly resulted in a increase in hate crimes, and expressed particular concern for young people.
“I remember being young in an age when you couldn’t be out as gay. It was very difficult to have a positive identity of yourself when everyone around you told you you’re no good, that you’re not worth it, that you’re not the same.”
He said elected politicians should take the lead on the issue within the confines of parliament.