Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Bethan Sexton

'Someone could be killed' Top Scots cop slams brick throwing bus thugs over 'senseless' behaviour

A leading Scottish police officer has warned 'senseless' antisocial behaviour targeting bus drivers and passengers could result in someone being killed.

Chief Inspector Sarah Taylor, Local Area Commander for North West Edinburgh, made the comments after Lothian bus drivers were subjected to a night of terror yesterday at the hands of yobs.

Eight buses were targeted by vandals who threw bricks and projectiles, shattering nine windows and terrifying the drivers.

Chief Inspector Taylor revealed police have been conducting a huge operation to clamp down on the bad behaviour as part of Operation Proust.

The brick left a dent in the opposite side of the bus (Craig Elliott)

She explained:“Over the past three weeks we’ve undertaken work through Operation Proust working with Lothian Buses to help tackle antisocial behaviour.

“During the evening of Monday, 15 March, a number of buses were subjected to damage with large stones thrown at widows.

"This is completely senseless behaviour and could lead to serious injury or even death.

"I would ask those who did this, how would you feel if it was your family member sitting at that window that smashed, or your friend driving the vehicle that was hit with a rock?

“This behaviour must stop. We will continue to investigate these incidents and seek to ensure offenders are held accountable for their actions.

“Over the last three weeks we have had officers patrol on buses, in vehicles, and on foot in the areas affected and so far we have identified and charged 18 young people. In addition we have engaged with over 140 young people ensuring that relevant safety and prevention messaging is delivered.

"Other measures instigated have also included visits to parents of youths who are identified as being involved and warning letters issued."

She added the force were working also working with education providers and the Lothian Association of Youth Clubs and stressed the need for collaborative efforts.

"If you see this behaviour, or congregations at bus stops causing a disturbance, I would urge you report this to us so we can investigate," she said.

“I’d like thank Lothian Buses for their continued support and reassure their staff, along with the public, that we will not tolerate this in our city.”

The comments come after local driver Craig Elliott revealed many drivers were living in fear due of antisocial behaviour.

"Every other night in all areas of Edinburgh we are having issues with large groups of young teens gathering and causing problems," he said.

"Thankfully last night there were no injuries. Can you imagine what could have happened had there been a buggy in the space where the brick came through?"

The Chief Inspectors comments were also echoed by Lothian Operations Director Sarah Boyd who slammed the "appalling" behaviour.

She said: "The lasting damage from these reckless acts can be life-changing for everyone involved and we continue to work with Police Scotland to ensure that those responsible are held accountable."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.