Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Health
Marco Aquino

Solano apologises for curfew incident in Peru

FILE PHOTO: Peru's National soccer team player Norberto Solano answers questions from the media after a Peruvian National soccer team training session at Centenario Stadium in Montevideo, June 16, 2008. REUTERS/Andres Stapff

Former Newcastle United midfielder Norberto Solano apologised on Friday after being detained by Peruvian police for being outside his house during tight quarantine hours set up to stop the spread of the coronavirus.

Solano claimed he left his home on Thursday before the 8pm curfew began for a lunch that went longer than planned.

"I obviously regret this very much and I ask for forgiveness," Solano told radio station RPP Noticias. "I am not going to justify it. It's very tough for everyone but the most important thing is our health, without that we can't do anything."

The 45-year-old assistant coach of the Peruvian national team was taken to a Lima police station after a neighbour spotted him and complained but he was released shortly after authorities registered the incident, local media said.

Peruvian president Martin Vizcarra reported police detained 2,568 people for breaking the quarantine limits on Wednesday, bringing the total to more than 18,000.

Peru, a South American nation of 32 million, has reported 580 confirmed cases and nine deaths so far from Covid-19.

(Writing by Andrew Downie; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.