Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Soccer-Bournemouth's Lerma denies biting allegations

FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - Championship - Coventry City v AFC Bournemouth - St. Andrew's, Birmingham, Britain - October 2, 2020 Bournemouth’s Jefferson Lerma celebrates scoring their first goal Action Images/John Sibley

Bournemouth midfielder Jefferson Lerma has denied allegations that he bit an opponent during their 1-0 defeat by Sheffield Wednesday last month.

The 26-year-old Colombian international was charged with violent conduct by England's Football Association (FA) on Tuesday for the incident that took place in the 83rd minute of the Championship clash at Hillborough.

The incident was not spotted by match officials at the time.

"Jefferson strenuously denies the allegation made against him and has cooperated fully with the FA's initial investigations into the alleged incident," Bournemouth said in a statement on Tuesday.

"He will request a hearing over the charge. Bournemouth fully support Jefferson and will continue to do so throughout the process."

The FA said Lerma has until Thursday to respond to the charge.

(Reporting by Arvind Sriram in Bengaluru; Editing by Christian Radnedge)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.