Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Reuters
Reuters
Sport

Smith, Warner meet with Australia team as bans near end

FILE PHOTO: Cricket - South Africa vs Australia - First Test Match - Kingsmead Stadium, Durban, South Africa - March 5, 2018. Australia's David Warner and Steve Smith leave the pitch after beating South Africa. REUTERS/Rogan Ward

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Steve Smith and David Warner have met with their Australia team mates in the United Arab Emirates to smooth the ground for their return to international cricket when their bans expire at the end of the month.

The former test captain and vice-captain were suspended for 12 months for their roles in a ball-tampering scandal in South Africa last March and have not been allowed to play top-level cricket since.

While Australia have struggled without their two best batsmen, questions have been raised over how easily they would re-integrate into the squad for the one-day World Cup and Ashes tour of England.

Coach Justin Langer appeared to have no such qualms after meeting with the pair ahead of the one-day series against Pakistan that starts on Friday in Sharjah.

"They have been received really well," Langer said. "They have gone through a really tough time, a 12-month suspension ... it's great to have them back in the team.

"They're excited and ... as a coach when you have got two guys with as many runs and experience as they've got coming back into a team that's playing well, that's very exciting."

While the bans end in time for the pair to play the final two matches of the Pakistan series, neither was included in the squad as they are both recovering from recent elbow surgery.

Langer said the duo had been briefed on the new team ethos that was put into place after independent reviews identified a "win-without-counting-the-cost" mentality in Australian cricket.

"We just had a look at how we are going with those values and how we can use our values and behaviours to keep moving the team forward on and off the field," Langer added.

Both players said they felt comfortable being back around the team environment.

"It's almost like we never left," Smith said. "It has been great to be back around the group. They have been really welcoming."

Smith added that he was making a good recovery from his elbow surgery and should be available for the Indian Premier League Twenty20 competition, which starts next week.

"I'm really excited about playing again," said Smith, who did not confirm when he would be able to return for the Rajasthan Royals. "The elbow has been tracking really well.

"I've been batting for two weeks and been able to play all the shots. I've got my power back and I'm just excited to be back playing again."

(Reporting by Greg Stutchbury in Wellington; Editing by Nick Mulvenney)

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.