Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Canberra Times
The Canberra Times
National
Andrew Brown

Canberrans could be forced to wait three years between fireworks displays

Skyfire will not go ahead next year due to coronavirus. Picture: Terry Cunningham

Canberrans could have to wait almost three years between fireworks shows after Skyfire became the latest event to succumb to COVID-19 concerns.

Canberra FM cancelled its popular show on Monday, deciding to pull the pin on planning the annual event four months before it was scheduled to go ahead.

The ACT government is considering whether New Year's Eve fireworks in the city will also be cancelled, meaning the next show above Lake Burley Griffin may be delayed until the end of next year.

Skyfire was one of the first coronavirus-forced cancellations in Canberra earlier this year, while the New Year's Eve and Australia Day fireworks were cancelled because of smoke haze and the bushfire threa

The 2021 Skyfire would have been the 33rd edition of the fireworks display.

Normally, the event staged by Hit 104.7 would see more than 100,000 people surround the shores of Lake Burley Griffin to see the fireworks and music performances.

But Canberra FM Radio general manager Craig Wagstaff said the safety and health of the Canberra community was the priority.

"We have made the difficult, though responsible and sensible decision, to cancel for 2021," Mr Wagstaff said.

"We remain grateful for the significant commitment from the community at large, our key commercial partners and event providers along with the ACT and federal governments.

"As will always remain the case, we will continue to explore safe, appropriate and enjoyable ways per our aim to contribute to the community across the Canberra region."

The cancellation of Skyfire earlier this year at the beginning of the pandemic was the first time the fireworks had been cancelled since 1989.

Organisers said in March they had hoped to stage Skyfire later in 2020, but such attempts were unsuccessful.

More than two tonnes of fireworks are normally launched for the Skyfire, and the display typically lasts 20 minutes.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.