Skip Bayless, the controversial co-host of First Take, is leaving ESPN after 12 years, the sports network confirmed on Tuesday. Bayless is widely expected to join Fox Sports.
ESPN said in a statement: “Skip Bayless has decided to leave ESPN when his contract expires at the end of August. His final appearance on First Take will be the day after the NBA finals conclude. We want to thank Skip for his many contributions to ESPN. His hard work and talent have benefited ESPN for 12 years.”
Fox Sports chief Jamie Horowitz revealed last month that he would be keen to sign Bayless if he became available. “Yes, we’re interested in all the superstars,” Horowitz told Sporting News last month. “Of course, I’m interested in Skip.”
First Take was due to broadcast live from Chicago on Thursday to cover the NFL draft, but according to Deadspin, ESPN’s plans have changed, thanks to Tuesday’s announcement.
Richard Dietsch of Sports Illustrated said ESPN was prepared to offer Bayless around $4m annually. Fox Sports and Bayless’s agent didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
ESPN has parted with a number of high-profile personalities in the past year, including Curt Schilling, Bill Simmons and Colin Cowherd.