Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
Entertainment
Stephen Houston

Six years for having a stun gun disguised as an iPhone

A Paisley man who was caught with a stun gun disguised as an iPhone has been jailed for six years.

Ronald McMahon, 57 admitted having the dangerous weapon in his possession at his home in Auchentorlie Quadrant.

He was caged by judge Lady Stacey at the High Court in Glasgow after it emerged he had a previous firearms conviction.

McMahon’s lawyer claimed the weapon had been brought to his house by someone else.

Prosecutor Ruth Charteris QC said: “Police went to the accused’s  home with a search warrant in connection with another matter.”

During the search on July 1, the item which looked like an Apple iPhone, but which, in fact, was a torch and a stun gun capable of producing a high voltage shock, was found.

A further warrant for firearms was obtained and the stun gun was seized.

Judge Lady Stacey told McMahon: “Parliament has decided that possession of a disguised stun gun is a serious offence and the minimum sentence for this is five years.

“You have been in the High Court before a long time ago, however, one of the charges was for firearms.

“You also have convictions for assault in 2016 and assault with a knife in 2018.

“In light of your previous convictions, the sentence I impose is one of six years.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.