Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Record
Daily Record
National
Henry Vaughan & Rory Cassidy

Six-week-old baby dies after testing positive for coronavirus

A six-week-old baby who tested positive for coronavirus is believed to be the youngest casualty in the UK.

The tragic tot, who had a pre-existing health condition, was one of 332 victims announced by NHS England today.

That takes the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 22,765, while Scotland's coronavirus death toll has climbed to 1,811.

(Daily Record)

The sad news comes at a time when First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has extended Scotland's lockdown - prompting speculation as to whether Boris Johnson will relax conditions down south.

A statement from the NHS said: "Patients were aged between six weeks and 103 years old. 22 of the 332 patients (aged between 40 and 96 years old) had no known underlying health condition."

Every day, NHS England releases updated figures showing the dates of every coronavirus-related death in hospitals south of the border.

The stats often including previously uncounted deaths from several days or even weeks ago.

The delay is caused by the time it takes for deaths to be confirmed as testing positive for Covid-19, for post-mortem examinations to be processed and for data from the tests to be validated.

While it is much less likely for children to suffer severely from Covid-19 compared with adults, today's figures show 12 deaths for hospital patients aged 0 to 19-years-old who had tested positive.

Nine of them, including the baby, had a pre-existing health condition - but the other three did not.

The youngest victim with no known underlying health issues was Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab, who died in March, aged just 13.

Medics wearing PPE as they help treat Covid-19 patients. (AFP/Getty)

After his case emerged, one expert called for research into deaths which have occurred outside of patient groups believed to be at higher risk.

Dr Nathalie MacDermott, an academic clinical lecturer at King's College London, said at the time: "It is essential that we undertake research to determine why a proportion of deaths occur outside of the groups expected to succumb to infection as it may indicate an underlying genetic susceptibility.

"Determining if this is the case could help us to learn more about the interaction of the virus with the immune system and subsequently what further treatments may be suitable in patients with severe infection."

People of all ages with underlying health problems are believed to be at higher risk from the effects of the virus.

But a major British study of almost 17,000 patients with severe Covid-19 found that only a very small number of children fall seriously ill.

The study, which examined data from 16,749 Covid-19 patients in 166 hospitals between February 6 and April 18, found that under-18s accounted for less than 2% of the study sample and under-fives accounting for 0.8%.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.