Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
Sport
Guardian sport

Six Nations 'not ruling out' going behind paywall in possible £300m deal

TV cameras and sound technicians swarm the touchline during a scrum as England face Ireland in the 2020 Six Nations.
TV cameras and sound technicians swarm the touchline during a scrum as England face Ireland in the 2020 Six Nations. Photograph: Charlotte Wilson/Offside via Getty Images

Six Nations organisers have refused to rule out the possibility of the competition going behind a £300m paywall in 2022 after the next television rights bids are lodged this month.

This year’s Six Nations, which ends on 14 March, is shown for free on BBC and ITV. The games have not been behind a paywall for two decades.

The Six Nations chief executive officer, Benjamin Morel, said a report that a decision had been taken to move all the matches off free-to-air TV was “highly premature” but the door has been left open to such an outcome.

The Rugby Paper said Sky Sports had become the favourite to secure a deal worth £300m and bring the Six Nations off terrestrial television “until 2024 at the earliest”.

The BBC and ITV combined to outbid Sky when the last TV deal was negotiated, securing a deal said to be worth £90m. Six Nations matches have been on terrestrial television since England’s home games were shown exclusively on Sky from 1997 to 2000.

No joint bids are being allowed in the next round of negotiations, and the Rugby Paper quotes an industry source as saying: “By ruling out any joint bids it’s almost as if the Six Nations are clearing the way for Sky. There is a very real danger that they will be prepared to sacrifice the big audiences on BBC and ITV for more money.”

In response on Sunday a Six Nations spokesperson was quoted as saying: “Six Nations are in the process of seeking bids for various sets of media rights but these are not due for some time.

“All of this is highly premature and speculative as no proposals have yet been received by any interested party. We would not rule anything out at this stage and the unions will collectively review and make a decision based on the nature of the offers received.”

It was reported last week that CVC Capital Partners, which is a minority shareholder in the Premiership and the Pro14 and is reportedly weighing up an approach to the southern hemisphere partnership Sanzaar as well, would bundle together television rights for competitions around the world into a single package for broadcasters.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.