Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chronicle Live
Chronicle Live
National
Ian Johnson

Six confirmed coronavirus cases at Whitley Bay High School - but lessons will continue

A North Tyneside school has told parents that six pupils have now tested positive for Covid-19.

Whitley Bay High School said four of the infected youngsters are in the same year group, Year 11.

The number of coronavirus cases at the school has risen throughout the week.

Last Friday, a case was confirmed in Year 11, and on Tuesday, parents were told a Year 13 sixth from student had contracted the virus.

On Wednesday, another case was detected in Year 11.

However, a letter sent to parents on Friday, headteacher Steve Wilson writes: "To ensure parents and students are fully informed, I am writing to let you know we have been advised that there are four confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Year 11, one in Year 10 and one in Year 13."

He adds that a "full risk assessment" has been carried out with those who have been in contact with the carriers advised to self-isolate for a fortnight.

Those who have not been contacted have been told to keep attending.

Previously, Mr Wilson told ChronicleLive that teachers were trying to "carry on as normal" for those of the 1,700 students who had not been in close contact with the affected children.

Schools across the North East have been hit by the virus since reopening earlier this month.

Several have had to partially close, while in some cases, whole year groups have been forced to self-isolate

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.