QUEPEM: CM Pramod Sawant said on Saturday that the Sociedade Patriotico dos Baldios das Novas Conquistas, Uguem, sold some land by cheating the government, but assured residents that their rights as single occupants would be protected. The government will not do injustice to buyers and due process will be followed to declare their rights, Sawant said at a special meeting with around 200 Uguem villagers.
The government recently deleted the Sociedade’s name and included itself as occupant along with farmers, based on a 1966 official gazette notification, triggering strong opposition from the farmers.
Will delete govt’s name after legal process ends: CM
Replying to a question, Pramod Sawant said that his government would delete the government’s name after completing the legal process.
On behalf of Uguem locals, former sarpanch Sanjay Parwar brought it to Sawant’s notice that locals were furious about the sudden changes made by the Sanguem mamlatdar in form I&XIV records by including the government as co-owner of the property without sending any notices.
Sawant promised the aggrieved locals that the government would not take away the land of those who had earlier purchased it from the sociedade, as also those whose names are in the other rights and tenants column. He warned locals not to encroach on government land. If anyone tries to encroach or construct huts or houses, the government will demolish them, he said.
Sawant requested the locals to submit an application to the deputy collector of Sanguem, along with their sale deeds or any other documents, showing that they are in possession of the land.
The chief minister requested the Uguem locals to constitute a five-member committee to follow up with the deputy collector.
Without mentioning the IIT, the chief minister said that some people are creating a “wrong atmosphere” among the people that something is coming up on the land. The government will do whatever is good for the people of Uguem, he claimed.
“I know who is responsible for not deleting the Sociedade’s name from survey records,” he said. “The court told us to maintain status quo, but I promise you that it will not take long to finish off the matter in favour of the government.”
Meanwhile, the farmers, reacting to the chief minister’s statement, decided not to submit their documents to the deputy collector office. “We don’t have faith in the chief minister’s words, we will submit our documents only after the high court disposes of the case,” they said.