Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Independent UK
The Independent UK
World
Oliver Carroll

Siberia lockdown: Russian security agents storm suspected Isis terror cell base in Tyumen

Russian security services locked down part of a Siberian city on Friday evening in what they said was an operation against a suspected Isis terror cell. 

Police in Tyumen (population 670,000) cordoned off several streets to the west of the city centre, evacuating residents and cutting off electricity and street lighting. 

Dramatic footage posted on social media shows dozens of armoured vehicles streaming the neighbouring streets.

In a brief statement, the local branch of the FSB said they had received information a group of terrorists had been planning an attack from one of the private houses in the area. 

The official statement carried no other details, but Russian news agencies later quoted security sources reporting all of the suspected terrorists had been killed "following armed resistance." 

This was the third suspected terror incident in the four months to strike the western Siberia region of Russia. Authorities have previously been accused of covering up the extent of the terror threat in the region.

On 31 December in nearby Magnitogorsk, for example, 39 people died after an explosion caused part of a multi-storey apartment block to collapse. 

The official explanation was a gas leak, but this was later contradicted by multiple witness accounts and unnamed sources in the security services, who said it was a terror attack. 

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.