Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
Ramallah - Kifah Ziboun

Shin Bet Says ‘Hamas’ Cell Arrested in Nablus

Israeli soldiers stand guard at the entrance of Yatta near the West Bank city of Hebron June 9, 2016. REUTERS/Mussa Qawasma

Israel's Shin Bet internal security agency said Sunday it dismantled a big Hamas cell it alleged was preparing "serious attacks" against Israeli targets.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was quick to praise the agency, saying the network’s arrest “saved the lives of a large number of residents.”

The cell's members were mainly from Nablus city in the north of the occupied West Bank and it was active for about six months until being dismantled in April, Shin Bet said in a statement.

It said the cell’s members - more than 20 people – were arrested and explosives seized.

The Shin Bet said it made arrests and neutralized explosives that were to be used against Israeli targets.

Israeli security forces also discovered bomb-making equipment and "serious attacks" were averted, the statement added.

The Shin Bet accused Motassem Mohammed Salem, 35, and 33-year-old Firas Kamel al-Zubaidi, both from Nablus, of leading the cell.

The agency has previously made several announcements on the arrest of cells plotting assassinations and attacks.

According to official data, more than 100 Palestinians were arrested last year in the West Bank and Jerusalem on charges of plotting attacks.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.