Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
National

Shark warning cancelled for Perth beaches after two boys injured just 3m off coast

The shark warning applies to beaches in Perth's north, including Trigg.

A shark warning has been cancelled for a number of beaches in the Perth metropolitan area after two young boys received injuries while wading close to the shore at Watermans Bay Beach.

Both children received medical treatment and their injuries are described as minor.

The two separate incidents happened minutes apart, at about 5.20pm on Wednesday night as the pair were wading three metres offshore.

The boys are believed to be aged around 10.

It was initially reported that a shark may have been responsible, but a spokesman from the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development said when photos of the boys' injuries were examined by experts, they were believed to be not consistent with a shark bite.

It was possible the injuries could have come from some other type of marine animal.

"The two people left the beach and their injuries were treated by a doctor," the spokesman said in a statement.

The last fatal shark attack in WA was in April last year, when 17-year-old Laeticia Brouwer died while surfing off WA's south coast near Esperance.

There have been 15 fatal shark attacks in WA since 2000.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.